Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Detectors
You cannot see it. You cannot touch it. You cannot even smell it. But it can kill you in a few seconds flat. It’s the deadly gas Carbon Monoxide, or CO.
How Dangerous is It?
Because we can’t see, smell or taste CO, it can affect you or your family before you even know it’s there. Almost all homes have sources of CO, so it is important that we understand this toxic gas and how we can protect ourselves.
Born out of incomplete combustion in your fireplace, heating system or even in an electrical fire, this silent assassin is more lethal and unpredictable than you can imagine.
Carbon monoxide can accumulate in indoor space, usually as the result of faulty combustion heating and exhaust systems. This toxic exhaust gas is absorbed by the lungs and enters the bloodstream of people or pets that are exposed to it.
Normally, red blood cells absorb oxygen from the lungs and distribute it to all the tissues of the body, but carbon monoxide interferes with this process because it bonds very tightly to red blood cells and prevents them from transporting oxygen throughout the body. Although the red blood cells continue to circulate throughout the body, they cannot carry oxygen as they normally would. Starved of oxygen, the body’s tissues begin to suffer. This process can result in illnesses ranging from mild headaches to even death.
Workplaces vary considerably in shape, area, and volume, though they can be divided into two key categories:
- Open Spaces – Comprised of large areas with adequate air flow, which can quickly remove any carbon dioxide generated since there are no confining walls or overhead surfaces. A good example of an open space is a flat lawn, such that any CO generated by a lawn mower is quickly dissipated by air or wind.
- Confined spaces – These include all places with little or restricted airflow, which increases the risk CO buildup even from small sources. There Are many circumstances that can contribute to CO buildup, including faulty venting of process equipment, lack of make-up air, insufficient or ineffective ventilation, poor machine maintenance, insufficient ventilation, and weather conditions.
a.p.i. Alarm Inc. can equip your home or office with efficient and sensitive Carbon Monoxide detectors
A little step that can go a long way in saving lives of your loved ones