7 Ways to Keep Your House Safe This Summer
Statistically speaking, the most amount of burglaries happen during the months of July and August – prime summer months. This is because burglars know that people are more likely to be away on vacation. Therefore, it is particularly important to be on guard. Here are seven ways to protect your home this summer.
- Don’t Advertise Your Holiday Plans On Social Media.Although you might be excited about your summer plans and are eager to share this information with your friends via social media, it is not wise to do so.
- Don’t Make It Obvious That You’re Away.Keep your curtains as you normally would have them while you’re away (don’t close them as this gives the impression that you are not home). Invest in some light-switched timers for both inside and outside your house to give the impression that you are home – these will turn on at a scheduled time every night. Stop your mail so that you don’t end up with a pile of it in your mailbox.
- Upgrade Your Front Door.The front door is one of the most common points of entry for burglars. They will will simply kick the door in and then enter your home. To increase the security of your door, consider upgrading it if it’s hollow. Choose one made out of fiberglass or solid wood as these offer the most amount of security. Also install a deadbolt lock on your door.
- Don’t Allow People to Look In.It is important to avoid giving a potential burglar the opportunity to evaluate the inside of a home for items of value or to become familiar with the layout of your home. Things like hanging plants are a great way to prevent this from happening. Of course, keep in mind that you don’t want to give the impression that you aren’t home as this is equally dangerous.
- Appraise Your Windows.Keep windows closed and securely locked. Also ensure that the window lock is clearly visible to deter a potential burglar from breaking in.
- Lock Sheds & Don’t Leave Tools Lying Around.A burglar could potentially use these tools to gain access into your home – it is best to avoid that by locking your sheds and cleaning up your tools.
- Install a Security Alarm System.It has been scientifically proven that houses without a security alarm system in place are 2.7 times more likely to be selected by a burglar as a possible target than homes with a system as the security system deters them. Even more, security alarm systems offer additional protection against other potential threats, including fires and carbon monoxide. A home security system will give you peace of mind. In addition, some systems even allow you to monitor your home while away – this is particularly valuable during the summer months while you are away on vacation.
One of the best ways to protect your home this summer is with a home security system. Contact our team of professionals at a.p.i. Alarm Inc. for a range of customizable alarms to keep you safe.